Retiring From This Plan
Steps to Retirement
Recommended actions leading up to retirement
1. Register for an account or log into your existing online MyNMERB account.
2. Eligible members considering retirement within the next 6 – 12 months may request an audited benefit estimate. Download the Benefit Estimate Request Form on the Forms page of this website and follow the instructions.
Part I: Retirement Application
Submit your Retirement Application approximately 90 days (3 months) prior to your anticipated retirement date.
STEP ONE: Member Completion
- Complete the Member Completion section on page one of the NMERB Retirement Application.
- You may request the application from your Human Resources Office or download the document from
the NMERB Forms page.
- When NMERB is in receipt of your completed Retirement Application, we’ll mail a letter informing
you of the status.
STEP TWO: Employer Certification
Note: Inactive members (no longer employed by a NMERB employer) who terminated employment 90 days prior to their effective retirement date are not required to complete the Employer Certification.
- Active members (currently employed by a NMERB employer) give your employer the Retirement Application with the Member Certification section finished.
- Your current employer will fill out the Employer Certification.
- A complete Retirement Application must be submitted to NMERB.
Part II: Final Retirement Documents
NMERB will mail your Final Retirement Documents for completion approximately 45 days (6 weeks) prior to your effective retirement date. However, if your documents are not received timely or there are questionable quarters, your Final Retirement Documents will be mailed to you as soon as administratively possible.
STEP THREE: You must complete and return the following documents to NMERB.
- Final Selection of Benefit Form (this form MUST be notarized)
- Authorization for Direct Deposit Form
- State and Federal Tax Deduction Form
- Post-Retirement Employment Notice
- Permanently Reduced Rate Calculation Notice (if applicable for the Rule of 75/80)
Once NMERB has received all required documents, you’ll be placed on payroll and a letter will be mailed to your home of record. Your monthly benefit payment will be directly deposited into your bank account on the last working day of the month. For your convenience, you may review your Retiree Annual Statement online.
Managing the retirement assets of New Mexico Educators since 1957.
701 Camino de los Marquez
Santa Fe, NM 87505
PO Box 26129
Santa Fe, NM 87502
Email or call ahead for an appointment.
8500 Menaul Blvd. NE, Suite B-450
Albuquerque, NM 87112