Defined Benefit Plan
Here at the New Mexico Educational Retirement Board we’re working hard on your behalf from the first to the last day of your career and for the rest of your life. We’ve been securing the financial futures of our New Mexico educational members past, present, and future for nearly 60 years. We are here to help you understand the benefits and services available to you.
How does the NMERB Defined Benefit plan work?
- NMERB administers a Defined Benefit (DB) qualified plan under IRS code section 401(a)
- This is a LIFETIME benefit plan for you and a designated beneficiary (depending on your benefit option choice).
The New Mexico Educational Retirement Board had a total of 167,132 Members at the end of FY 2022. We categorize them among the following three groups:
- Active Members, who currently work for an NMERB affiliated employer in a covered position: 59,887.
- Inactive Members, who maintain accounts with us but are no longer working for an NMERB employer in a covered position: 53,273.
- Retirees and Beneficiaries currently receiving benefits: 53,972.
Managing the retirement assets of New Mexico Educators since 1957.
701 Camino de los Marquez
Santa Fe, NM 87505
PO Box 26129
Santa Fe, NM 87502
Email or call ahead for an appointment.
8500 Menaul Blvd. NE, Suite B-450
Albuquerque, NM 87112