Frequently Asked Questions

Fact Sheets and Answers for You

For more information please see the Member Handbook or contact us via the Member Services contact form.

Fact Sheets

Answers for You

Click the plus sign to read the answer.


How do I retire this year?

Submit your Retirement Application 60-90 days prior to your retirement date. Your retirement date is the 1st day of the month following your last date of employment or whenever NMERB receives your application, whichever is later. You should get your retirement application from your employer’s human resources office however you can also print one from our Download Forms link. If you have submitted your application within the 60-90 day window, then you will receive your Final Retirement Documents about 30 days prior to your retirement date. See our Simple Steps to Retirement guide.

Why haven't I received my final retirement documents?

You can expect your final retirement documents about 30 days prior to your actual effective date of retirement.

Why is my beneficiary not listed on my Member-Self Service Login?

NMERB stores electronic copies of your Beneficiary Designation -Form 42 in your Member-Self Service Login document history. NMERB will enter your beneficiary’s name into your account profile upon request. It’s important to keep your beneficiary updated. If you don’t know who you designated as your current beneficiary, request this information via email at If you need to update your beneficiary, please complete a new Beneficiary Designation – Form 42 and return to ERB’s Santa Fe Office: P.O. Box 26129, Santa Fe. NM 87502-0129.

Why can’t I log into my NMERB Self-Service Login?

You must first register and create a password before you can utilize the services. Follow the instructions in the Member Tutorial. If you’re still getting an error message, send an email inquiry using the Contact ERB Member Services form

What will my final NMERB benefit be?

Log into your ERB account and use the benefit estimator. Enter a retirement date and the estimator will calculate your benefit based on the wages and service your employer has reported to NMERB. This will provide a rough unaudited estimate of your monthly retirement benefit amount.

Why won't the Member-Self-Service Login load properly?

Delete your Browser history. If that doesn’t work, you may try either Google Chrome or Firefox. Google has several excellent resources and detailed instructions on how to delete your Browser history and download Google Chrome or Firefox. This resolves most issues for most users.

How do I change my bank or bank account?

You must complete a new Direct Deposit Authorization Form from our downloadable Forms page. You may also email and we’ll email you a copy or call and we’ll mail or fax a copy to you. Toll-Free: 1(866) 691-2345.

How do I apply for ERB Disability Retirement Benefits?

Visit the ERB Disability Retirement and Benefits page for information and instructions for applying for ERB Disability Retirement Benefits.

What do I do now that I'm no longer employed?

You won’t receive service credit while inactive. However, you may leave your contribution portion with NMERB indefinitely. You won’t lose service credit or Tier status while inactive. You may also rollover your contribution portion to a qualified plan. If you return to work for a NMERB employer (any Public School, College, or University) you will once again earn service credit and contribute to the Defined Benefit Plan. If you would like a refund of your contribution portion, you must complete a Request for Refund/Rollover Form. You may access the form on our Download Forms link. NOTE: Please keep in mind that you’re not entitled to your employer’s contribution portion until retirement and would be relinquishing that portion with your refund. Also, you will pay a 20 percent tax upfront and then pay a 10 percent withholding tax as well.

What do I do with my PERA service?

NMERB shares reciprocity with PERA. So long as you leave your contribution portion with PERA, your service credit will count towards retirement eligibility under the NMERB system. Please note that your NMERB eligibility requirements will be dependent on your original hire date. For example, if your initial NMERB hire date is on or after July 1, 2010, then your eligibility requirements are the 30 and Out, Rule of 80, or 67 and 5 requirements. If your initial hire date in the NMERB system is July 1, 1995, and you switched to the PERA system for a few years, came back to the NMERB system, you’ll be grandfathered into the original 25 and Out, Rule of 75, or 65 and 5 requirements, so long as you did not refund your contribution portion. Be aware that you may only earn one service credit a year from NMERB or PERA.

NMERB Retiree FAQs

Click the plus sign to read the answer.


How do I get deductions removed or added to my 1099?

You must complete a new State and Federal Tax Deduction Form from our Download Forms link. If you don’t have internet access, call us and ask for a form to be mailed or faxed to you: Toll-Free: 1(866) 691-2345; NMERB fax: (505) 827-1855.

How do I change my address?
You may complete a Change in NMERB Records form found on the Forms page of this website. You may also write us a note with your new address, the last four digits of your SSN, date and signature and mail or fax it to NM ERB. Contact information: NMERB’s fax: (505) 827-1855. NMERB’s mailing address: P.O. Box 26129, Santa Fe, NM 87502-0129
How do I update my new name with NMERB?

You may send NMERB written notification of your name change. Please include your previous name, your birth date and the last four digits of your social security number. You must sign and date the letter. Mail the letter and a copy of your current driver’s license or Social Security Card with your new name to NMERB’s Santa Fe Office. NMERB’s mailing address: P.0. Box 26129, Santa Fe, NM87502-0129.

Return to Work Questions and Answers - What restrictions do retirees have for returning to work for a NMERB employer?

There are different options a retiree has for work after retirement.

Learn more about the program on the Returning to Work after Retirement page.

Looking for health care information?

ERB does not provide assistance with Health Care for retirees. Please contact New Mexico Retiree Health Care Authority (NMRHCA).


Managing the retirement assets of New Mexico Educators since 1957.

Contact Information

Santa Fe
(Main Office)

Member Services Contact Form

Physical Address
701 Camino de los Marquez
Santa Fe, NM 87505

Mailing Address
PO Box 26129
Santa Fe, NM 87502

1(866) 691-2345

Main Office
(505) 827-8030

(505) 827-1855

Albuquerque Office
Email or call ahead for an appointment.

Member Services Contact Form

Physical Address
8500 Menaul Blvd. NE, Suite B-450
Albuquerque, NM 87112

(505) 888-1560

(505) 830-2976

NMERB Publications